Sat 10 Oct 2009
These are a pleasant byproduct of carving the jack o’lanterns that appear throughout Azeroth during the Hallow’s End festival. The farms in the south of Elwynn Forest provide the majority of the pumpkins used for the lanterns, and one farm in particular, run by the Stonefield family, is known both for the size of their pumpkins and the quality of their roasted seeds.
This snack takes a little less than an hour and a half to make, all told; most of that is the roasting.
- The seeds from one medium pumpkin
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp salt
You can substitute twice as much of any whole spice – remove the cloves from their stems – and reduce them with a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Pre-heat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Extract the seeds from the pumpkin, and remove them from their strands. Discard as much of the pulp and meat of the pumpkin as you can.
- Place the seeds in a fine collander and wash thoroughly, removing the remaining pulp.
- Dry the seeds lightly with a cloth or paper towel, and spread evenly on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the spices and half of the salt over the seeds.
- Place the seeds in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- When the seeds are roasted, sprinkle the remaining salt over the seeds. Serve while warm!