Tue 2 Jun 2009
Submitted by Anea of Holy Discipline
- 2.5 lbs of stew meat (we use this to feed four people – add or subtract as you need)
- 1 medium-largish onion
- 6 jalapeño peppers (chilis)
- 6 roma tomatoes
- corn tortillas (optional)
- Chop your meat into smallish chunks
- Dice vegetables
A note about chilis – even though I have indicated 6 for this recipe, you probably will not want to leave the seeds in all of them. The inside of the chilis is what makes it burn your mouth. Depending on the hotness of the chilis (I find it varies by store/size/color), I will usually leave four of them with seeds in and two without. I will use that as a general rule – you may add or subtract as you think you can handle.
- Put a dollop of canola oil into your skillet – enough to just about coat the bottom – and turn your burner to a medium-high heat
- Add your meat to the skillet – after a bit you will see the bottom half start to turn brown. Add your onions and chilis.
- Cook uncovered about 15 minutes until meat is cooked through
- Add tomatoes
- Cover and cook a few more minutes until tomatoes are cooked down into a sauce
- If you decided to eat this with tortillas and you’re in a hurry, you can just heat them up in the microwave.