Sat 29 Aug 2009
When I first saw this soup, I actually thought it sounded like watery rabbit food. And cinnamon? In a SOUP? Blech!
I have to say that I was pleasently surprised that this turned out to be so delicious! It’s very cheap and easy to make, and ideal for low-carb diets. Any noodle fans out there can place about a cup of pre-cooked egg noodles (or a pasta of your choice) in there for some extra goodness. Also, the recipe says to add pre-cooked chicken or turkey near the end, but I cut up two chicken breasts, and just cooked them for about ten minutes in the first stages of the soup (celery and onions). This soup will also cover most of your ‘colour groups’ of vegetables, using easy to find veggies like celery, carrots and red pepper.
- 1 medium onion (2 1/2 inches in diameter), chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrot (you can use chopped pumpkin, if available)
- 1 heaping Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinammon
- 1 bay leaf
- A little hot sauce
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large leaf of chard, about 1 and 1/2 cups – can use spinach or other dark leafy green – cut into thin strips
- 10 oz frozen green beans (or fresh)
- Salt and pepper
- 5 cups stock or broth (I like vegetable or chicken Better Than Boullion – but watch the saltiness)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
1. In a large soup pot, put oil, onion, and celery. Cook on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes to develop more sweetness in the onion.
2. Add garlic and turn up the heat to medium. Cook for a minute or so and add the peppers and carrots. Cook another minute or two and add the spices. Stir and cook until fragrant — another minute or so.
3. Add tomatoes and stock, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add frozen beans and chard and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the beans are cooked. If adding cooked cubed meat such as chicken or turkey, add at this time.
4. Adjust seasonings.
This recipe was originally from About.com. I just slightly modified it. :3