Sun 31 May 2009
(Based on Mulgore Spice Bread – World of Warcraft)
Submitted by Cadistra of World of Warcraft, eh?
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (use the heel of your hand to press the sugar into the cup – add sugar until full)
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and egg; mix well (if you have a mixer, use it on a very low setting)
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl; use a mixing spoon or spatula to mix the dry ingredients together – just be gentle! (Optional – add 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice for more spice!)
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and alternate with milk (just add a little at a time to properly blend it all together); mix well.
- Pour into a greased, wax paper-lined 9×5 loaf pan
- Bake for 80-90 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean (the toothpick test)
- Allow loaf to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing it; place on wire rack to allow loaf to cool completely (alternatively, if you don’t have a wire rack, a bacon rack or other item that allows air to circulate under the loaf will work as well).
- Wrap and let stand for 24 hours before slicing.